Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Hockey Season Nears

NHL and college hockey seasons start soon and that's always an enjoyable time for me. Again this year I'll be getting the NHL Center Ice package so I can watch all the games I want on cable. The beautiful thing about the NHL package as opposed to the NFL one is that the NFL games are all played at the same time. While for the NHL you get games 7 nights per week, a far superior value!

Tomorrow night is my FanHockey league draft. This will be the third season I've done this and I've fared quite well in my 12-team Yahoo leagues including players from across North America. I think both years I took 2nd place, just losing out in the last week the first year. I don't know yet what draft position I'll have, but I've done enough basic preparation to feel good about it. You only get 1 minute to make your pick so you really have to act fast or else it will auto-pick for you.

I dig college puck, too. Just saw that UND got the cursed position atop the Grand Forks Herald's annual preseason coaches poll. The team receiving that seeding rarely actually wins the McNaughton Cup as regular season champeen of the WCHA. Gophs were picked 2nd.

And, Bucci's first column of the year is up. He seems to be the lone hockey guy at evil ESPN, but does a tremendous job. He has great insight, makes surprisingly accurate predictions, and is a joy to read.

No comments: