Saturday, September 29, 2007

Spent 15 Years in Indiana...

Well not in Indiana, exactly. That was just for the Jack Logan fans out there. But this weekend were the festivities for my 15 year college reunion. It was good to see some old friends, but there were only a few that I hadn't seen in more than 6 months or so. I think the 15 isn't one of the big ones that draws folks in from out of state, so it was mostly the local folks at the bar last night and down on campus at St. Olaf today.

Since college I have:
  • Traveled fairly extensively. I've driven across all the northern tier of states and all the bordering provinces of Canada. Right after college I had some great camping road trips with my friend Dave. We hit Glacier, Banff, Quebec City, Montreal, Maine, the maritime provinces. All great trips, the first one to grad school in Missoula, MT in my old 1980 Ford Fairmont Futura. As my career slowly inched along and my salary increased from the original $18,000 I started going abroad: Norway, Finland, Russia, Italy, Iceland, Morocco, Spain, Czech Republic, Austria (and Peru next Spring).
  • Dated fairly extensively. Sure, for the first several years I hardly dated at all. When I went to college I just assumed that everybody met their future wife in college. But I was pretty quiet and didn't step out too much. Then I was quite content to be a single guy in my 20s, but I've made up for that in the past 5 years. I guess when I hit 30 I realized that it was up to me to put forth a little effort to meet a girlfriend. So recently I've been dating a lot and starting to feel like I might have missed my chance to find The One. It's becoming increasingly frustrating to go out on dates and have one of us be interested, but not both.
  • Lived in MT and UT. I did one year of grad school in Missoula, but mostly I went there for a change of scenery (having spent my entire life in MN) and to ski. The skiing was great, but I wasn't entirely into the school thing (math -- operations research). But Missoula is a great town. After returning to MN I worked the cubicle life for three years before convincing my buddy Steve to move to Utah with me. We got a lame apartment in a suburb of Salt Lake City and I worked the first year as a lift operator at Alta. That was an awesome year. Next year I worked at a lodge at Snowbird next door. These were two terrific years of skiing almost every day.
  • Bought a condo in Lowertown St. Paul. I like it here.
  • Driven the same car for 13 years.
  • Played in a rock band for 6 years. Those were good times, too, and probably would not have happened had I gotten married in my 20s (and potentially started cranking out kids).
  • Ran 4 marathons and 1 triathlon.
All in all, it's been a very good 15 years. I'm very happy with the experiences I've accumulated in that time, but feel like I'm ready to move on to the next chapter.

No comments: