Wednesday, November 21, 2007

James J. Hill Reference Library

This morning I made my first foray to the James J. Hill Reference Library in about 10 years. It is located in the same ornate, marble building downtown St. Paul that holds the St. Paul Central Library, but has it's own entrance and is a separate library.


The condo building that I live in also happens to be the headquarters of James J. Hill's old Great Northern Railroad, so I enjoy little J.J. Hill experiences more than most, probably.

I went there to do demographics research for this green store idea and was looking for household spending on housewares and home improvement items like flooring, linens, cabinets, glassware, etc. The librarian was very helpful and I found what I was looking for. And it feels good to have that reference ability under my belt now. It's a cool looking library inside, too.

Unfortunately, they still force you to print everything out and charge $0.20 per page. And yes, I did try to log on to my Google Docs to just copy and paste the data right into there, but they have some specialized firewall that prevents sites that would allow a user to usurp their printing fees. Oh well, I'm happy to pay to support a library like that.

No comments: