Sunday, February 3, 2008

I'm No Foodie

I'm no foodie. In fact I'll eat just about anything anytime anywhere, which is a long way from the more particular days of my youth. I figure that eating food that you know other people somewhere in the world eat regularly and don't get sick from is just the mature thing to do. But I digress.

Even though I'm not a connoisseur of food, I still enjoy reading and listening to people who are passionate about food. Take, for example, Lynne Rossetto Kasper on The Splendid Table and Dara Moskowitz in City Pages. They're both really good at their jobs and make me wish I could communicate in the language of food. Words describing tastes just don't readily find their way to the tip of my tongue.

Dara writes so well that she makes me realize my complete inferiority as a writer. Ever have those times when you think: "man, that person is way better at that than I could ever be"? Well, she's moving on to a new gig. I don't go out to eat much so I rarely visited the restaurants she wrote about, but I'll still miss reading about them.

No comments: