Sunday, February 24, 2008

Make art! Make art!

Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova just won the Oscar for their song "Falling Slowly" from the film "Once". I just watched the film last week, but I picked up their Swell Season album several months ago and both the movie and the Swell Season are fantastic.

Glen was in the Irish band The Frames and has been making music for 20 years, mostly unheralded. It's terrific to see someone like him get recognized for this great song in such a small film. It cost $100K and was filmed with handycams in 3 weeks.

As he left the stage after giving his thanks, Glen called out "Make art! Make art!". I thought that was beautiful since the Oscars are dominated by Hollywood which is often not concerned with art, but with profit.

...And then Diablo Cody won best screenplay for "Juno". Awesome! I'm glad I actually tuned in to the Oscars this year.

No comments: