Sunday, March 9, 2008

Camera for Peru

I'm going to Peru in April to hike the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu with my buddy Mikko. I own two nice cameras, but decided I need a third to take advantage of the new pocketsize camera technology.

My first camera was a classic Leica M3 that my Mom got as a graduation gift back around 1960. It's an absolute beauty, but of course is 100% manual. I missed more than a few photos over the years because I had the f-stop set wrong.

So about 5 years ago I jumped on the digital camera bandwagon with a Canon Powershot G3, which was pretty good for the day. I can't remember what it cost, but I'm pretty sure it was over $400. It has 4.0 megapixels, 4.0 zoom and is as big as the ol' Leica, which is a little too big if you're trying to blend in to a foreign environment while traveling.


Not that I'll be blending in in Peru, but I still love the idea of having a quality camera in my pocket instead of hanging around my neck. Today, with the help of a nice little gift from work, I picked up a Canon Powershot SD850. It has 8.0 megapixels and still a 4.0 zoom and is less than half the size of the G3.

So I'm ready to go.
Bring on the chica de jora (purple corn booze)!

No comments: