Thursday, March 6, 2008

Where I'm At

I've been reading a lot of blogs and websites recently pertaining to sustainability and business and living. It feels like I'm starting to, for the first time, get an idea of what I want to do with my life. Where I'm at is that I really don't want to just cruise through life without making a difference. The world is facing so many challenges right now that we have the ability to fix. Unfortunately it feels like politics and governments frequently get in the way and force two steps back for every one in the right direction. Given the level of today's technology & communication there's gotta be a better way to improve the global standard of living.

So I've been mulling that for the past few months, trying to figure out where I can fit in. And I'm talking "standard of living" in a broad sense, not just something so monumental as eliminating global poverty or something, but local things like encouraging others to lead more sustainable lives or broadening the reach of an arts organization. I still have a certain standard of living of my own that I'd prefer to maintain -- not ready to move to Tanzania or anything. And somebody already thought of Kiva (you should do this -- great workplace teambuilding opportunity).

But that's where my head has been at of late. I think it has been driven by the confluence of:

  • 9/11 and how it changed how many global citizens view the world

  • MBA degree coming this spring

  • International travel experiences I've had, all wonderful

  • Riding the bus every day and having closer interactions with a segment of society that many white-collar folks ignore or avoid

  • Being single and 37 and having some time to kill to think about stuff like this
The sub-heading of this blog came from the personal mission statement that I was asked to come up with for a leadership class. The longer form is: Live fully, tread lightly, and encourage others to do the same. I truly do think of that statement regularly and it has survived without edit for over a year, so I think its working for me.

No comments: