Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Office un-DVRed

To my eye, the American version of "The Office" tv show has jumped the shark. The first few seasons were terrific, must see tv for me, but after watching the last few episodes I officially canceled my DVR setting for it. Many sitcoms hit the wall after just a few seasons, if not earlier, almost as a matter of definition. When you force a show to be in the same setting with the same cast of characters, there is only so much you can do with it. The Office has used many of the classic techniques to try to keep the story fresh: cross romance between characters, new characters arriving and other characters leaving, giving the token black character his own very special show, etc., but it's just not working any longer for me. I need to cut back on my DVR shows anyways, so The Office takes the hit. They still did have 3+ fantastic seasons, though.

No comments: