Thursday, May 8, 2008

This One's a Deuce

I went to the Ace Frehley concert at First Ave tonight. Some of you may know Ace from his work in Frehley's Comet, but most of you probably know him as the guitar player in KISS.



Now I'd be lying if I said I was super psyched for this show. I mostly went because a friend wanted to go and I knew I'd enjoy 4 or 5 songs. But Ace delivered in a big way. His supporting band was made up of L.A. Motley Crue wannabes, but they were tight and the sound experience in First Ave. is so far superior to any arena show. I've seen KISS a couple times, and this was better. New York Groove, Deuce, Love Gun, Rock Soldiers, and the opener Rip it Out were all highlights. He did the flaming guitar gag too, which was great, but was lessened a bit by the lingering scent of cherry bomb that was never smellable in the '80s at the Civic Center.

First Ave. was sold out (1,200 people) and there were probably 20 women there. One fan came dressed in costume as Ace circa '79 and there were lots of old KISS t-shirts. Ace is clean and sober now, a far cry from some of his old antics.

So how 'bout a little respect for the true soul of one of America's greatest rock bands. You wanted the best...

No comments: