Monday, June 16, 2008

I Baked!

The last couple weekends I've walked past the fresh rhubarb at the farmer's market, wishing I had the interest to go shopping to pick up all the staples I would need to bake my mom's famous rhubarb cake. I'm not much of a cook, so I don't have all the different pan sizes, baking soda, vanilla, flour, etc. laying around my kitchen.

But I really wanted to enjoy that fresh rhubarb.

So I scourged the interwebs to find a simple rhubarb recipe that I could crank out while only requiring one bike trip to the grocery store for the aforementioned staples. Here's what I came up with. Muffins turned out great. I might have to try this "baking" thing again sometime.

Rhubarb Muffins
Ingredients:
2 1/2 C. flour
2/3 C. brown sugar, packed
3 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 C. milk
1/4 C. oil or melted margarine
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 egg, beaten
2 C. finely chopped rhubarb


Procedure:
Heat oven to 400 degrees; grease or paper line 12 muffin cups. In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add milk, oil, vanilla and egg. Stir just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in rhubarb. Divide batter between muffin cups. Sprinkle tops liberally with sugar, if desired. Bake for 20 - 25 minutes, until light golden brown.

1 comment:

Spirophita said...

Mmmmm....sounds delicious!!

Chicken, grapes MY ASS LOL. :)