Sunday, June 15, 2008

Top Five

Okay, some friends are listing their Top Five albums of all time and I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon. The album is a piece of art and should be treated as such. A quality album is not just be a collection of pop songs, but should contain greater meaning as a whole.

First of all, it's extremely hard to stick to just five. Maybe on a later post I'll list the runners up, but I will stay true on this one and only post five. And they can't just be records that are fun to listen to. To get into the Top Five they have to also stand for something and be influential. If it was easy to get into the Top Five, your favorite band would be here.

Second, these are as-of today and are culled from the 600+ albums I own. They evolve as I evolve, but at this moment they are (in no particular order):



* Double Nickels on the Dime (Minutemen) -- this album blows me away with its jazz influenced punk rock in 90-second bursts. Best lyric: "Our band could be your life".









* March 16-20, 1992 (Uncle Tupelo) -- I never would have thought it at the time, but this is Uncle Tupelo's best record. You can't tell which songs are "traditional" and which are time-undistinguishable originals. That's a good thing. A timeless thing. Best lyric: "I spent all my money on whiskey and beer".







* Bulk (Jack Logan) -- I actually first heard this album in Verbier, Switzerland while visiting a ski bum friend. Through 42 songs its variety, artistry, and simple poignancy continue to impress. Best lyric: "Why oh why did you become an optimist?"








* Grievous Angel (Gram Parsons) -- One of America's all time best songwriters at the peak of his brief career. Best lyric: "Twenty thousand roads I went down, down, down and they all led me straight back home to you".








* Pet Sounds (Beach Boys) -- Not the Beach Boys you may be familiar with, but moreso the brainchild of disturbed genius Brian Wilson. Best lyric: "I guess I just wasn't made for these times".





What are your Top Five?

1 comment:

Spirophita said...

Mine are probably a little less unique (no particular order):

1. Zebrahead Waste of Mind
2. Cat Stevens Teaser and the Firecat
3. Jeff Buckley Sketches for my Sweetheart the Drunk
4. Pixies Surfer Rosa
5. Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 1964-1971

It's tough, though. There are SO MANY amazing ones. David Grey White Ladder ranks up there too.