Monday, August 4, 2008

No Pain, No Gain?

Ahh, the pain following the 100-minute run. It turns out Friday's run (eloquently described below) left me with one helluva pain in the leg. Tight hamstring. Sore left glute. Actually the whole left leg was tight and sore. Inflamed IT band? I don't really know what I did, but for the rest of the weekend it was extremely irritating and turned my nights into 45 minutes of tossing and turning, alternated with 30 minutes of sleeping (if ice was applied).

So I desperately called Theresa, my massage therapist friend this morning, hoping that she could help. I wasn't sure if I should try a doctor or a physical therapist or a massage therapist, but I figured she was a good place to start.

60 minutes of painful massaging later, I'm in pretty good shape. Not 100%, but hopeful to be able to sleep through the night.

1 comment:

Spirophita said...

Do you have a foam roller (for self-myofascial release)? If not, you should consider one. Relatively cheap, and definitely help with glute, hamstring, and ABSOLUTELY IT band pain. It was my saving grace back when I used to actually run.