Thursday, December 25, 2008

Album of the Year

I don't buy as many records as I used to, but still appreciate the beauty of a quality album more than any other art form. So I didn't listen to hundreds or even dozens of albums like the critics and websites I respect did. But I do read and listen to a lot of music reviews over the course of the year so I am able to pick up those I believe to be most promising. Here's my cream of the crop from 2008, with the #1 cd coming into my home only last week.

  1. David Byrne & Brian Eno - Everything That Happens Will Happen Today. A+. I'm only on about my 3rd or 4th full listen to this album, and am absolutely loving it (though I did post about it here when introduced to it online back in August). Both of these artists are over 50 years old and both have very respected careers going back 30+ years. They have worked together before, but not recently, and fortunately David Byrne didn't bring any of that weird world beat stuff he was doing in the '90s to the table.
  2. Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds - Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!. A. "We Call Upon the Author" is my song of the year. Nick Cave is another pentagenarian who continues to kick out the jams.
  3. Girl Talk - Feed the Animals. A-. In my attempts to stretch my ear I was very pleased with the mashup genius of Girl Talk. The entire album is made up of bits and pieces of other artists' work and is threaded together brilliantly into hummable, recognizable, but still unique dancey tunes.
Other 2008 releases I bought:
Other newish albums I listened to a lot this year:
Music website of the year:
Whaddya think? What did I miss?

No comments: