Monday, December 1, 2008

Who am I? What do I do?

I've been thinking recently about how common it is for Americans to define themselves by their career, but how I have never really felt that way. Liz and I discussed it a bit last week and this weekend I meditated on it while lounging in the spa at the new Ivy Hotel downtown Mpls.

At work, I also thought this through from a marketing perspective recently. The Lutheran financial services organization I work for can only sell insurance products to Lutherans and targets its marketing materials to more active Lutherans. I am technically a Lutheran and eligible to buy insurance from my company, but I don't go to church and never really think of myself as Lutheran. It is my opinion that many potential Lutheran clients of my company are ignored by our marketing practices because of the expense and challenges of marketing to a religious group anywhere beyond the church. There are lots of people who are technically Lutheran, but don't really think of themselves as Lutheran. More likely, they think of themselves as mother, father, artist, North Dakotan, Packer fan, whatever.

When I think about who I am and what I do, my career and my religion do not show up. If I were to, say, jot those things down in my blog and share them with you they might look like this:

I am a global citizen and world traveler,
a critical thinker,
a loving son/uncle/brother,
an appreciator of music and the arts,
a city dweller.


Note: subject to change as I evolve and grow.

1 comment:

Kristen said...

ggrrr.. this is a great post and would work even better inside the walls of our Lutheran financial services company.

i still can't wrap my head around the idea of you at a spa but i would love a review of the Ivy.