Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Jottings...

Lots of people here smoke cigarettes, both the locals and the western travelers...It took 3 islands and 1 week but I finally stumbled onto the ubiquitous Irish bar here on tiny Gili Trawangan. Everywhere in the world you will find 2 things - Australians and an Irish bar...Scuba diving is good and I will be certified after 1 more dive this afternoon, but still haven't seen any of the big stuff like turtles, sharks, manta rays, or dolphins...My minimalist REI wristwatch that looks like a Livestrong bracelet was a great $6 buy and the locals here love it...I notice the perspiration on my forearms the most, and my glasses aren't falling down my nose at all...The second book I'm enjoying immensely is "Coming into the Country" by John McPhee about the history and people of Alaska...Local residents seem to be constantly sweeping small leaves and natural debris off of the dirt roads. It seems more ritualistic or meditational than practical...Last bicycle ride I had a choice of 2 bikes, one with no brakes and one whose rear gear didn't shift. An entrepreneur could make a killing with a simple Allen wrench. I chose the one with brakes but had to work awfully hard to get up some steep hills...

Looks like 2 more days on this little island and then I will grab a boat with Oliver the German over to Komodo and Flores. There's snorkeling, sightseeing, and Komodo dragon tours along the way but I'm not sure if I'll be able to dive there or not without making a weeklong commitment on a liveaboard boat where you're out at sea the entire time.

Thanks for posting comments. It's fun to hear from you.

3 comments:

Dan D said...

Thanks for the updates. We're enjoying them as well. Have you told Oliver my German ("Take my wife, I command you) joke? Feel free to use it.

Sing a chorus of Danny Boy for me at the Lucky Clover.

Dan D said...

BTW...a tweet I saw today that I thought you'd enjoy...
The #whitesox are my favorite team because they release dollar amounts in their press releases, dispensing with the charade of secrecy.

nancy said...

Sounds like a great adventure! Thanks for sharing, happy trails : )