Monday, December 27, 2010

The Last Supper

I had about 28 hours back on Bali before a 1am flight to Seoul then Chicago then MSP and a few options on how to spend them: (1) hidden beaches, great surf and iconic cliff perched temples on southern peninsula; (2) excellent hiking and biking in mountainous interior near Munduk; (3) spa back in Ubud where I was 3+ weeks ago. I'd hoped for a spa near a hidden beach and I'm sure they exist, but Ubud is easy to get to and Lonely Planet didn't have much on hidden beach spas. So I happily came back to Ubud, but this time in significantly upgraded accommodations.

My last night and day was spent at one of those idyllic, picturesque Bali spa retreats with the Raiders of the Lost Ark stonework amidst a lush jungle complete with waterfall. I gladly dropped $120 for a room and day of massage that would have cost $500 back home. Ahhh...this is livin'.

Soon it'll be back to the daily grind, but not if I can help it. The thing I've contemplated the most over the past month is how I don't want to settle for the daily grind. Nobody should have to. Its so easy to get stuck in that familiar rut where the days keep going by with no marked improvement or new experiences in ones life.

I'd like to strive for one of these every day:

1. Learn something that I truly value
2. Experience something really fun or cool or mind-expanding
3. Become more healthy by doing something active outdoors

I don't like stringing together days when none of those occur. It makes the time feel lost to me and I hope I can be more intentional about seeking them out, but I'm also hesitant to make some grand life statement here. It's only been a month after all. Of course
that's already one more month of pure traveling, learning and cool experience finding than virtually everyone I know has ever taken, so I feel like I'm on a good path.

If nothing else, having this quality time to think and write has certainly been beneficial. I see now why journaling is considered healthy. Putting thoughts and feelings into words and sentences really helps you think them through and better define what they really mean. Try it sometime.

And I'm sure I'll need a little help along the way so feel free to remind me about this stuff down the road.

Happy trails.

1 comment:

M said...

There's a late XMAS present at your place... had to move "Mick" to display prominently.

Welcome back.