Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Social Kirk

Funny to think that I was worried I wouldn't meet anyone and would travel like a monk and only speaking to others out of necessity. Due, in part, to the Lonely Planet guidebook which is ubiquitous among backpackers, solo budget travelers like myself tend to converge on the same collection of hostels, sites, and connecting transit routes.

I've actually been quite social, spending hours or days talking and traveling with folks from Germany, Ireland, Finland & Switzerland. Unfortunately, it's a bit disconcerting to be making some terrific new friends and knowing that there's a good chance I will never see them again.

The past few days have actually been a little too filled with conversation for me and I'm looking forward to more time alone to just relax in peace & quiet. That's why I opted to spring for the expensive lodging at Lake Toba, dropping almost $20/night while Thomas and Simona are staying at a more budget savvy place for only $5 per night. They are traveling for 3 months and 12 months, respectively, and need to watch their wallets more closely than I. Also, Thomas' company quickly grew tiresome so I'm happy to part ways with him.

Lake Toba is 60 miles long by 20 miles wide and is actually the crater of the volcano that produced the greatest eruption on Earth in the last 25 million years.

On Christmas day I will leave Lake Toba for Medan, the largest city on Sumatra and home to the airport that will carry me on the 26th back to Bali. Then I'll have one last night and day on Bali before getting on the plane at 1am Tuesday morning.

No comments: