Thursday, December 9, 2010

Today

12:21 pm

Got out of bed around 9:30 after a late night at the Irish bar (alas, no Irish music, only Euro dance tracks). No shower this a.m. because there's really no need, but I do wish to use some proper shampoo because my hair has gotten a little ratty after only being cleansed with bar soap for 10 days. But everyone around here has beach hair anyways so its no big deal.

I feel a little more self-conscious about my paltry beard, though. Its getting a little itchy and I'm certain it looks like crap, but how often can a fella go a month without shaving? I'm curious to see if it'll actually fill in beyond the sideburns or not. Curiosity is why I haven't shaved.

Breakfast was served by my always cheerful hostess and I'm not yet sick of the repetitive selection - pineapple pancake with honey, fresh watermelon, banana, pineapple and mango that she neatly slices into cubes on the rind for easy eating. So nice. I think she loves it when I beam with a smile each morning upon eating her breakfast and tell her how much I like it.

I'm staying at a homestay which consists of 4 basic, clean, simple rooms attached to a family's compound. I say compound because a family here lives in a collection of small buildings around a central courtyard. Her abode is quite small compared to those I saw in Bali and it feels great to be helping her with a little income, $10/night. The one bare compact fluorescent bulb in the ceiling is a little dim and there is no hot water, but who needs hot water when its 85 degrees every day. At breakfast I first go for the watermelon because its the coldest and most refreshing.

Which brings me to something I've been wondering about since I got here:  Why do people in a hot climate drink so many hot beverages? Tradition? They have refrigeration. Even though I'm not a fan of hot beverages I completely understand why people enjoy them in the cold of a Minnesota winter. And I understand the addiction to coffee, too. But give me a cold anything on a hot day.

The last two days after breakfast I walked 3 minutes down the strip to the dive shop where I completed two dives each day to achieve my PADI Open Water Diving certification. I'm not officially a SCUBA diver, though divers have apparently dropped the SCUBA part from the lexicon and speak only of diving. Around here nobody confuses it with non-existent springboard diving.

After breakfast I checked in on email at the internet cafe and am now taking a leisurely 5-mile stroll around the island with journal and book in tow.

Tonight, at 7pm as has become our custom, I will meet Oliver & Gesa for dinner at the market. Oliver will show up late and Gesa and I will choose from the selection of fresh fish, rice & vegetables. BYOB.

3:54 pm

My island stroll is going swimmingly (sorry). I sit now in a thatch roofed hut on stilts over looking the ocean and listening to only the waves wafting on shore, the clatter and bells of the islands horse buggy transports (no motor vehicles allowed), and the faint strains of the Red Hot Chili Peppers "Californication" bleeding out from the kitchen of the restaurant that made me my coal fired pizza lunch. Paradise!

2 comments:

Karin said...

It's cold and snowy here. Really cold! Finn and I were reading a dragon book last night and it talked about a Komodo dragon so I told him you were going to see one ;) He thought that was pretty cool.

Kirk said...

Maybe I can bring him home a real one! You guys need a new pet, right?