Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Farewell, Old Friends

It's often been said that some purging is easier than other purging.  And they're right. For instance: getting rid of that redundant set of silverware that I hadn't used in the 7 years I've lived in my current abode. That was easy.

But this is harder.

These t-shirts have been very good to me and will carry a little piece of me with them when they go (and I don't just mean underarm sweat stains).

Oh, Supersuckers. I love this silhouette shirt, but haven't worn it in years. I just don't really wear shirts with anything on them (save for a pocket) anymore. Not sure what that says about me, but it definitely says I'm not one of those Ed Hardy guys.

Bought this Nirvana shirt at the First Ave. show in 1991. Good times. Mikko will never let me forget how I didn't fully appreciate the musical genius of opening act Urge Overkill, and he's right. It's cuz they were dressed up and I have a thing against bands in costume. Great band, though, as was Nirvana obviously.

Ahh, Soul Asylum. Another kickass band from the '80s and '90s. I must say I'm more than a little sad to see how indie guitar rock has pretty much disappeared from the scene, only to be replaced by bands with too many computers or not enough bassists.

Got this one during one of my trips down to SXSW in Austin in about 2003, maybe? I dropped by the Broken Spoke just a couple months ago when I was back there for business and was quite disappointed that it was closed for the night when I showed up a hair after 11:00. But I guess that's what makes it a country roadhouse not a rock joint, which is why we love it.

My tribute to local rock scribe Chris Reimenschneider that I wore on stage a few times back in the Gone Out Gone days. I'm certain he never saw it and not sure how many people got the joke, but it pleased me, at least. I can't wear it anymore, though, since I no longer rock. Hopefully someone else will appreciate my homemade iron-on handiwork.

Farewell, old friends. May you warm the heart of another. Literally.

No comments: