Sunday, August 21, 2011

I Pick Huckleberries

A question that I hear from people in most conversations when I tell them I recently moved to Bozeman is: "What do you do there?" or "What are you doing?".

I know what they're getting at. They want to know what I'm doing for work.  But I hate that phrasing of the question because it's supporting that American cultural norm of being defined by one's career. I am a Systems Analyst or I am a Marketing Manager. I don't particularly care for that use of language so I like to mess with 'em a bit.

So when people ask me "What do you do in Bozeman?" I always respond by saying "Hiking, biking, enjoying the mountains. I can't wait for ski season." It's my way of trying to expand their horizons.

Saturday morning I went out on a hike picking huckleberries. Huckleberries are the popular local berry around here and one I'd never interacted with. They look like small blueberries but are more tart.


So the next time someone asks me what I do I'll be able to respond: "I pick huckleberries".

No comments: