Tuesday, August 2, 2011

There Are No Words

I've been listening to a lot of instrumental music lately. Perhaps its a new habit reflecting the fact that I'm working from home and lyrics tend to distract me a bit. But even before that I discovered a couple newish instrumental acts that I've been enjoying for some months now. Have any good instrumental recommendations to share?

Maserati - "Pyramid of the Sun" came out late in 2010 and I must've heard about it through a critic's Best of 2010 list. Electronic-y, but with galloping beats that make for better driving music than dance music.
Fuck Buttons - It's a horrible band name, but this was a big step for me into dancey, electronic mash music. And I like it a lot. I've been listening to the album "Tarot Sport".
The Alps -A little more mellow and neither danceable nor driving, but beautiful music nonetheless.
Glenn Kotche - The Wilco drummer is quite the talented percussionist. I don't normally go for pure percussion, but his album "Mobile" pushes the boundaries quite a bit and gets pretty creative.
Explosions in the Sky - These guys are a guitar rock band who make brilliant soundscape rock songs that sound as their name suggests (as long as you include the beginning of the explosion and also that lingering effect). The album I have is "The Earth Is Not A Cold Dead Place".

No comments: