Friday, November 16, 2012

This Morning's Playlist

It's not even 10am and this morning I've already listened to these complete albums...


  • Nebraska by Springsteen
  • Dressed Up Like Nebraska by Josh Rouse
  • For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver
  • Bee Thousand by Guided by Voices
First of all, I struggled with how to write the introductory sentence above in order to make sure that the reader understands that I still listen to albums in their entirety. I've ranted about this before, but to me the album is a piece of art and deserves to be heard in order and all the way through.

Got on a Springsteen kick recently because everyone is raving about his current tour, the first without legendary saxman Clarence Clemons who died last year. I understand how some people don't appreciate Springsteen because he does tend to write the same song over and over. But I'll tell you what: if you look back at his catalog and ignore the low points, he's got as impressive a resume as anyone in rock. All artists have low points and not enough have a point of view. Nebraska has always been a favorite of mine and takes me back to senior year in college when it was one of our go-to albums when winding down after a long day.

After I searched on iTunes for "Nebraska", it was only natural that Josh Rouse's album showed up in the search results. It builds on a similar mood/tone, but has a little more pep to it so I kept listening. I think I got this album for free somewhere in '98 or '99 and what a pleasant surprise it was. Not sure what he's doing today, but check out tracks "Dressed Up Like Nebraska" and "Late Night Conversation" for some twangy pop goodness.

Continuing the mood, I had to go on a search next to figure out what was appropriate. Alphabetically, Bon Iver was the first to emerge and so I ran with it. I still like this one more than his second album, especially the way the title track beautifully emerges near the end of the record. Ahhh....

Then I hit the shower and came out to a voicemail from my 1:00 appointment asking to reschedule. I'd just put on a respectable, tuck-in-able, button down white shirt so I did what any sane man would do and took it off, replacing it with a much less respectable, but much more comfortable plaid. 

I've started reading some of the 33 1/3 book series, each written about one iconic rock album. Page 24 of the Bee Thousand edition was sitting on the table next to me, so I picked it up. What a great read for a GBV fan. There's a huge chunk penned by charismatic frontman Bob Pollard and it's like candy. So of course I wanted to listen to the album as I was reading about it.

And then I wrote this.
And so here we are.

How's it goin'?

1 comment:

samh said...

Good morning, album man. High fives to listening to albums in their written form. Down with playlists. Also, kudos for the suggestion to listen to Mudhoney last week. I thoroughly rocked out to them while doing some sewing at home. Most wonderful