Monday, April 7, 2014

April 1-7


  1. In 1998 Neutral Milk Hotel recorded one of the best albums of the '90s. Soon after their talented frontman sheltered himself from the world and was barely heard from for more than a decade. Last night (3/31) I saw them play live in Denver and they lived up to all my expectations, a feat almost impossible to achieve. Fantastic show with trombones and accordions and musical saw that makes Grammy award winning Arcade Fire look like copycats.
  2. Had a positive meeting about SuperCuts on April 2 regarding hosting a Muslim Ladies Salon Night at the end of the month. That should be fun and I love the idea of providing services to a suppressed population. Later had a fun second date filled with thoughtful conversation, which I enjoy.
  3. Dating sucks.
  4. Saw an interesting documentary film today about the Large Hadron Collider in Geneva called "Particle Fever". It was fun to see a behind-the-scenes look at the global partnership of scientists who are smashing protons and trying to figure out the building blocks of the universe.
  5. In preparation for the Almanzo 100 mile gravel bike ride in mid-May I signed up to ride the Anti-Epic 50 mile ride outside of Monument, CO south of Denver and north of Colorado Springs. Here's me in the yellow courtesy of www.ridinggravel.com. The course was decent and I met some fine folks while helping to raise some money for www.kidsonbikes.net. Most importantly, it helped me realize that I have some more training to do if I'm going to survive a 100-miler in 6 weeks.
  6. My father's birthday is today so he and I had a nice chat. He's going to see the Gophers play in the Frozen Four NCAA hockey championship in Philadelphia later this week. Ski-U-Mah. Oh, and I bought a one-way plane ticket to San Diego for May 20th which will mark the start of my 1000-mile hike along the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mexican border to Yosemite. It's on.
  7. It's my forty-fourth birthday today and I'm hitting the road in the van for a week of biking and hiking in New Mexico. Today I'm planning on going to Taos via the scenic route and asking at bike shops there for recommendations on where to ride. I'll also pick up a New Mexico Gazetteer map book that lists all the BLM land and dirt roads and such. Goal for the week is to get in a 70-mile bike ride on dirt/gravel roads and a 15-mile hike with fully laden backpack since I'm in training for both the Almanzo and the PCT hike. 
later on.

2 comments:

samh said...

Happy birthday. And I SOOOOOOO jeaulous you got to attend a NMH show. It must have been so amazing.

Kirk Ahlberg said...

It truly was. I half expected reclusive frontman Jeff Mangum to melt down or be completely anti-social, but he seemed really happy to be there. The whole audience was certainly happy to be there, too.