Sunday, April 20, 2014

Week of 4/15 in Denver

4/15 - Rode my first group bicycle ride in Denver and got a good chuckle when the chatter amongst other riders reminded me of this...




4/16 - Feels like a Tuesday.

4/17 - Why do I allow myself to get emotionally involved in hockey games, the outcome of which are 100% beyond my control? Is it healthy to be a sports fan? The Minnesota Wild choked away a two-goal lead late in the Stanley Cup playoffs tonight.

I’m not calling myself a sports fan, but I guess I am a hockey fan. Over the past decade I’ve quit paying attention to pretty much every sport beyond NHL (MN Wild) and Univ. of MN Gophers hockey. In my youth I recall being depressed for days after a Vikings loss in the sport we call American Football. It seems quite pathetic now to look back on it, but hockey is the one sport I still get emotionally involved with. Again, I’m not the guy next to you at the game/bar yelling and frothing at the mouth. I observe quietly (and hopefully without desperation). But there’s a definite level of heightened stress that comes with it for me.

Sure, there is the camaraderie of being part of a tribe (e.g. fans of a particular team). I get that. And that must have some value for humans because it is quite common. And I guess any form of entertainment is about enjoying something over which we have zero control of the content. 

But when the enjoyment turns to strain and negative emotions linger, is that when its no longer healthy? 

4/18 - Fun and hope-filled bike ride & beers today with a new friend who appreciates both at least as much as I do. Those are good traits to find in a new friend.

4/19. My third straight day riding significant mileage on the bicycle and I'm feeling strong. Still, I have a ways to go before I'm ready for the Almanzo 100 in 4 weeks. It's 100 miles of hilly dirt an gravel roads in beautiful southern MN and it'll likely take me 11-12 hours to complete. I've never been in the saddle for more than 6 hours which is why I'm planning on getting in a 75-mile ride in rural western Kansas this coming week.


4/20. This passage from Thoreau’s Walden struck a chord last night: 
"When he had obtained those things which are necessary to life, there is another alternative than to obtain the superfluities; and that is, to adventure on life now, his vacation from humbler toil having commenced."

2 comments:

DoubleD said...

Van Duzer is hilarious, but the funny thing is that his video is not an exaggeration. He's just repeating the shit that you hear on any given day on any given group ride on the Front Range. Wait until you meet guys who are doping for Cat 3 races.

Kirk Ahlberg said...

... truth is stranger than fiction. No doubt.