Monday, December 22, 2014

2014 In Review: What I Watched

This is the third of a few posts reviewing my experiences in the past year:
  1. What I Read
  2. What I Listened To
  3. What I Watched
  4. What I Did
In 2014 I watched more movies than any other year of my life. This was the result of my expanded free time, living in a new place and not knowing anybody, and living in a big city again that has quality arthouse and independent cinema.


What I Watched in 2014

Movies

Six films really stood out to me and were an absolute pleasure to behold. I've ranked them here in order of my preference:
  1. Birdman - Michael Keaton & Ed Norton starred in the best and most beautifully crafted film I saw this year. Follow the link to read the rotten tomatoes reviews that describe it better than I can.
  2. Mistaken for Strangers - It starts out as a documentary about the band The National directed by the singer's brother. But it's where it goes from there that makes it spectacular and unique among rock docs.
  3. Jingle Bell Rocks! - I covered this one last week.
  4. Boyhood - This film was made over the course of 12 years, following the growth of its lead actor from boy to adult.
  5. Top Five - It's funny. And it has romance, but I'd {shudder} to call it a romantic comedy because Chris Rock is at a level of excellence that genre has never seen. 
  6. Snowpiercer - Best and only sci-fi I remember seeing in 2014. It all takes place on a train in a dystopian future where the entire planet Earth is frozen.

TV Shows

I finally watched Breaking Bad after having it recommended to me by enough people over the past few years. My technique with tv shows is to not worry about watching them on their first run but to wait a few years. Then, if people are still talking about it, I'll watch it on Netflix (if available).

Normally I can't make it past season 2 or 3 of an hour-long drama series because I feel as if after the first couple seasons the writers have to force the plot in a variety of cliched ways in order to keep the program on air and making money. After all, the first goal of almost all television is for the show to make money. That's why after a few seasons we tend to see things like:
  • Everybody starts sleeping with everybody else
  • Some long-lost friend/lover/enemy/child from the past shows up out of nowhere. Shocker!
  • Tragedy like a car crash or heart attack
  • etc.

I enjoyed Breaking Bad, but part of the reason I made it through all 5 seasons is because I knew it was ending in the 5th season. If I were watching it live on the first run I would have given up on it.


Videos

Cody Townsend wasn't the first guy to ski this. That honor belongs to Travis Rice. But, damn, did he ever slay it.

No comments: