Friday, December 26, 2014

The Value of Travel

If you've been reading this blog then you know that global travel is something I value highly. However I'm not sure if I've ever taken the time to explain what's behind that.

Do I like to travel in order to avoid working?
Am I a beach bum or a slacker who has no interest in contributing to society?

In fact, I believe that thoughtful global travel is the highest form of contributing to society. After all, everyone on the planet is now our neighbor and as a global superpower I believe it is both our responsibility and in our best interest to better understand our neighbors so that we can all get along.

So why do I travel?
Why did I spend a month in Indonesia and want to live (not just as a tourist) for at least 3 months in each of Mexico, Turkey, Colombia, Thailand, France, Chile, the Himalayas and more?

Rick Steves articulates the answer far better than I could. This sparkling 20-minute video is highly recommended and chock full of beautiful, thought-provoking insights, some of which I've highlighted below.
http://youtu.be/kYXiegTXsEs




On "America! Fuck Yeah!"
2:53 - how we grew up thinking that America was at the top of the pyramid and everyone else was "trying to figure it out"
3:00 - we have the American Dream...these people have the Sri Lankan Dream... our dream is beautiful but so is theirs
3:13 - "travel wallops my ethnocentricity"

On Iran
7:09 - "Why am I going to Iran? Because I believe it's good character to get to know people before you bomb them."
7:41 - "fear is for people who don't get out much"
8:04 - Another perspective on "Death to America" in Iran.
9:28 - On being aware of and understanding the baggage of other cultures

On Legislating Morality
12:00 - In America we're all about government by, for and of the people via the corporations we own. In Europe they also have government by, for and of the people, but in spite of the corporations they own

On High Taxes
17:14 - Rick Steves: How can you Swiss people so dociley pay such high taxes?
         Swiss citizen: What's it worth to live in a country where there's no homelessness, no hunger, and everybody (regardless of their parents) has access to quality health care and education?

On Understanding Other Religion
19:00 - the Whirling Dervish

On the Value of Travel
20:30 -  "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness"
                               - Mark Twain

Be sure to also check out Rick's podcasts. He's also here on twitter.
And feel free to share this video with people you know who "don't get out much".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this. Thanks for posting and for the footnotes. Great message. --Dan

Kirk Ahlberg said...

This video hit me more square in the heart than almost anything I can remember viewing. I just think he nailed it so smartly & eloquently.