Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Friends and Eating in Argentina, Part I

Just a couple quick photos and notes...

1. These are my new friends who are taking Spanish language class with me in Buenos Aires for 3-4 weeks. Left to right: Daniel from Vienna, Austria; Nena from Stuttgart, Germany; Sean from Chicago, USA. They are great folks and  it has been a pleasure to spend time with them. I hope to see them all again at a later date in a different part of the world after we part ways before Xmas.

2. These are two legends from the Argentinian tango music scene. I don't know their names but I can imagine from these artists renderings that it would have been great to see them perform.

 3. The first photo above was when the 4 of us went to a vegetarian restaurant the other day. Eating well in Buenos Aires is a bit of a challenge for me for a few reasons:

  • It is hard for a traveler here to get his full complement of leafy greens each day. Argentina is very much a meat culture. I've had 2 wonderful steaks at nice restaurants that each cost about $10. At a Chicago steakhouse they would have been $30 or $40 or more. An accompanying glass of terrific wine cost about $3. 
  • There is a kitchen in my hostel that I can use but, seeing as I never much used the kitchen when I had one of my own in the States, I haven't used it yet. Shopping for ingredients and preparing food has never been something that I enjoyed very much. 
  • Restaurant hours are very late here. Most Portenos (citizens of Buenos Aires) eat dinner between 10pm and midnight when I am normally in bed. Some restaurants are open earlier and some are not. Some grocery stores are open in mid-afternoon and some are not. It is still unfamiliar to me as to what times of day different food sellers are open.
First week here I had this for lunch most days. It is a mini-veggie quiche sort of deal that I could buy at the baker near the Spanish school. Quilmes is the local beer and it tastes just like all other bland Asian and major American beers. There are some craft beer places in town but I haven't been yet. 


This is the $1 bottle of wine I bought the other day. I wanted to buy a bottle of wine with a twist-off cap because I don't have a corkscrew and the hostel sells alcohol and frowns on people bringing in outside booze. The only red wine I found at the store around the corner that had a twist-off cap was this bottle, so I decided to try it as I had nothing financially to lose.

Notice the fancy wine glass to accompany the fancy wine. It is important to drink such wine out of such a glass in order to really experience the full flavor. Did you know that most of our taste buds actually get activated through our nose? I don't know if that's entirely true or not but think I heard something kinda like it somewhere once before.

The wine was fine, but I didn't finish the bottle. It was, I imagine, significantly more tasty than rubbing alcohol.


2 comments:

Ann Vinciguerra said...

Kirk, I'm glad to see you are enjoying your travels. Nice! Great work on your blog - keep it up. Annie V.

Kirk Ahlberg said...

Thanks, Ann! I've been enjoying reading about your journeys, as well. Let's find a way to cross paths again somewhere down the line.