Sunday, August 21, 2016

Rio: More Travel and Olympic Highlights

The past two months in Rio have been terrific. I met a wonderful woman and stayed in the lovely neighborhood of Ipanema, just 4 blocks from the beach and 2 blocks from the lake where they held the Olympic rowing events. Great location. Here's a couple street shots to show the greenery about. The left photo shows orchids that have been grafted onto a tree. Pretty gorgeous. They do this in many places in the area.

At the western end of Ipanema beach stands a beautiful mountain called Deus Irmaus, or Two Brothers. What a beautiful site to behold every morning when I ran along this beach.

And here I am on top of it. That's Ipanema beach on the right and all the way to the left you can see the famous statue of Jesus Christ on top of the mountain.


My two favorite sandwiches in all of South America (where mostly the sandwiches totally suck):
The one on the left is filet mignon, cheese and pineapple. So delicious I had it twice. Here's me eating it late one night:


The final Olympic games I attended were the women's soccer gold medal game and track & field featuring the men's 4x100 final and Usain Bolt. The soccer game was held at Maracana stadium, which is one of the more famous soccer stadiums in the world. It was really beautiful all decked out for international visitors:
Germany beat Sweden 2-1 for the gold medal.

This photo from track & field shows the running of the women's 5000m gold medal race as well as the women's pole vault finals. Luckily our seats were right next to the pole vault area. Usain Bolt famously won a gold medal in the 4x100. In 3 Olympics he won gold in the 100m, 200m and 4x100m. Unprecedented.

And finally, as we bid farewell to Rio 2016, we welcom PyeongChang, South Korea as the host of the 2018 Winter Games. I just filled out an application to volunteer there. Care to join me?
 (l to r: Soohorang, Kirk, Debora, Bondabi)


2 comments:

Jamee said...

Your Rio pictures and posts have made me so happy! I'm so fond of the city, and what an incredible and exciting time to be there. Live well!

Kirk Ahlberg said...

Thanks, Jamee!